Search This Blog

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Key Lime Meltaways

It's (basically) summertime, so I thought I'd share with you some of the things that remind me of summer. 

Summer reminds me of:
  • Running through the sprinkler on a hot afternoon
  • Humidity levels of over 100%
  • Summer league swim meets and having a mean one-piece swimsuit tan line
  • Swimming at my friend's house between morning and afternoon swim practice (and getting an even meaner swimsuit tan line)
  • Staying up late with my mom in her bed and laying under her cold sheets
  • Catching fireflies in a mason jar
  • Living off of these
  • Spending memorial day at the lake
  • Reading myself into an afternoon nap on our porch
  • Watching our small town's 4th of July firework show
  • And especially key lime pie.
Having a mom who is from Miami means one very important thing: she knows how to make a darn good key lime pie. It might have been the first dessert I learned to bake. It's a family tradition, and I can't tell you how many times I've eaten it. The strong, citrusy flavor from the key limes packs a punch that is unforgettable.

Key lime pie also happens to be in my top 5 favorite desserts. So I thought I would like these key lime cookies. I did.   

These are buttery, sweet, and full of key lime flavor. Oh and they are also covered in powdered sugar..yum. Make not only these cookies this summer, but also make sweet memories of your own that will remind you of why we all love summertime.

Key Lime Meltaways: 

Ingredients:

- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Grated zest of 4 tiny or 2 large key limes
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour (a.k.a. 2 cups  minus 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt


Directions:

1. Add butter and 1/3 cup of the sugar to stand mixer with paddle attachemnt and cream. Add zest, juice, and vanilla and beat until fluffy
2. Mix flour, salt, and cornstarch together. Add to butter mixture and beat on low speed. 
3. In plastic wrap, roll dough into two 1 1/4-inch-diameter logs. Chill at least 1 hour.
4. Heat oven to 350 F. Slice dough into 1/4-inch thick logs. And place on baking sheet.
5. Bake until barley golden, about 15 minutes. Let cookies cool slightly on wire cooling rack and then toss in powdered sugar while they are still warm. 
6. Eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment