Dark Chocolate Espresso Cake
Seems like spring always brings big change.
Last spring we made this Lemon Poppy Seed Cake and met this angel for the first time.
This spring, we made this Dark Chocolate Espresso Cake and that angel is our favorite kitchen helper!
This spring, my husband and I are moving, selling our first home, changing jobs and reconfiguring life. Also, this spring, I ran my first half marathon. Which, as any monumental occasion does, called for a celebratory cake!
But seriously y'all, this cake.
- 1 1/4 cup hot, dark coffee
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups full fat, sour cream
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 200 grams dark chocolate*
- 1 1/3 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsbp espresso
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
*The best quality chocolate you can find! I used 100 grams unsweetened and 100 grams bittersweet.