Search This Blog

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Snickerdoodle Cupcakes

I get it. I know. This blog post is long overdue, but in search for the perfect words to describe these cupcakes, I got nothing. You see, I was doing this for you! I wanted to bring you the best blog post out there. So here's my attempt. 
I don't have a great relationship with cupcakes. It's not the cupcake's fault, it's all those one-trick pony, cutsie named cupcake shops that people make a huge deal about because they serve the "best" cupcakes that really gets me. Really? That's all you got? A piece of cake with three inches of frosting. I don't get it. But the cupcake always seems to wins me over again when I taste one. A good one that is. So I made cupcakes. 
Snickerdoodle cupcakes. Yes, snickerdoodles are one of my favorite cookies too, so I was a little reluctant to turning something as sacred as the snickerdoodle into a cupcake. But the snickerdoodle's reincarnation actually turned out much better than I expected. The cinnamon cake and frosting combo was extremely tasty. Yet again, the cupcake proved me wrong and showed me that there is still hope for my relationship with cupcakes. 



From: Martha Stewart
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, plus 1/2 teaspoon for dusting
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 3/4 cups sugar, plus 2 tablespoons for dusting
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 1/4 cups whole milk



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Sift together both flours, baking powder, salt, and 1 tablespoon cinnamon.

With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of milk, and beating until combined after each.

Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 18-20 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes.

The original recipe uses Seven-Minutes Frosting
I used Buttercream instead.  It's a slight obsession of mine.


Buttercream Frosting: 

3 cups confectioners' sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 to 2 tbsp. whipping cream

In electric mixer mix together sugar and butter. Whisk on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.

Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium for 1 minute more, adding more cream, if needed, for spreading consistency. 

To finish, combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 tablespoons sugar. Using a pastry bag fitted with a large plain tip, pipe frosting on each cupcake. Dust frosting with cinnamon sugar. Keep at room temperature until ready to serve.



-Sarah-

No comments:

Post a Comment