Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Oatmeal Cream Pies

I think everyone has a favorite Little Debbie treat, although some people don't want to admit their love for Zebra Cakes or Swiss Rolls. But I will go ahead and tell you that I love Oatmeal Cream Pies. Maybe I love them so much because I think I am eating healthy when I see the word "Oatmeal," or maybe it's because they are just so darn tasty. I have always wanted to recreate the amazing "Oatmeal Cream Pie," and I found a recipe that did just that. Now I am not one to claim that "these treats taste like the real thing," but I'm going to just go ahead and say it: these homemade Oatmeal Cream Pies taste like the real thing. They are the closest thing to the original (if not better.) The Oatmeal cookies were soft and chewy, while the Marshmallow filling was nice and fluffy. I always love a good copycat recipe because I no longer have to shamefully hide my face at the grocery store while I am stuffing Little Debbie treats into my cart. These are simple to make, which is why I will make them over and over and over and over....


From: FakeGinger
Ingredients for Cookies:
1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups quick oats

Ingredients for Cream Filling:
1/2 cup Butter or Cream Cheese(we used Cream Cheese because we were out of butter)
- 1 1/2 cups marshmallow cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
Directions for Cookies:
Cream together the butter and sugars in a mixer.

- Beat in vanilla and the eggs, one at a time until well   incorporated. 
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, cocoa powder, and oats. Beat into the cream mixture.
Drop about 2-3 tbsp. (depending on how large you want the cookies) of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.

The centers should still be slightly underdone when you remove them from the oven. Cool completely on a wire rack.

Spread about 1-2 tbsp of cream filling on the bottom of one cookie and then top with another cookie.
Directions for Frosting:
Cream the shortening with the marshmallow cream
- Then add the powdered sugar and vanilla, beat on low for about a minute.
- If it’s too thick, add a little water. You want it to be spreadable but not runny

-Sarah-


No comments:

Post a Comment